February 6, 2014

Family Matters: Abby Went to the Dentist

About a week ago, we had a dentist appoint for one of the BYKOTA kids that fell through, because the boy that was supposed to go, went to Khmer school instead. So that we would not lose the time and appoint, Mark offered to have Abby go in his place. So, I picked Abby up from pre-school and we went to the dentist. I had thought that Abby had been to the dentist before, but when we arrived at the office I found out that this was her first visit... ever. She had come with Kelsi before but only played in the play place while BYKOTA kids got work done. After I found out this was her first experience with the dentist, I began the work of calming her down. I could tell that she was not comfortable, so after we got the paper work filled out, we played on the play place for a while, and she seemed better. She did really well, up until the nurse asked her to lay down in the chair... that is when the crying began. I told her in the prep time that if she was good and obeyed that she would get ice cream afterwards (yes, I bribe my children... he who has not sinned may cast the first stone). The dentist took the little mirror on a stick and went to put it into her mouth, and she bawled, but as soon as I said, "Abby, you need to open your mouth big" she did. We had one of our kids who wouldn't even open her mouth for the dentist, so I consider my daughter to be very brave for an almost five year old. The dentist just looked into her mouth and said, "No cavities and no need to clean. She needs to keep brushing her teeth." Abby's face was so relieved when I finally got her calmed down enough to hear me saying that she was done. Best part was that the whole visit was free! Good experience all around. As we walked out, Abby just looked up at me and said, "Can we go get ice-cream now." Yes, yes we can. I love my Abby-girl. She is always so energetic, and that is difficult sometimes, but we always have fun together, and that is something that I hope and pray continues long into her life.
BecauseHeLives,
Micah.

2 comments:

  1. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with “bribing” your kids, as long as you keep your word. It actually motivates them to be courageous. Anyway, it was brave of Abby to behave well during the check-up. Kudos, too, for having clean teeth!

    Anny Vera

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment, Anny. I mention bribing as a negative thing, because, in the education world, the educator's focus is to teach the children intrinsic motivation. We want our kids to learn to do something because it is right, and they see it as right... not just so they can have a reward. I agree that follow through is one of the best things a parent can do for their child especially paired with consistency. How did you happen upon our blog, by the way?
    Micah.

    ReplyDelete