April 20, 2014

Family Matters: What You Think To Accomplish

There is a vast difference between what you think you will accomplish and what you actually accomplish, with free time. I am getting ahead of myself, though. It is Khmer New Year (or it was). I just finished an entire week off of school and ministry! I literally had no contact with Bykota House for an entire week, other than Facebook updates. Kels and I are still not completely moved in yet--there are still boxes unpacked and rooms unorganized. My plan was to hammer the whole house out this week. Monday, I got up normal time and began the work of deep cleaning and organizing and unpacking. I finished the bottom floor. It took the entire day--probably took longer, because I was being nit picky about arrangements of things and such, changing my mind fifty times before settling on something. At the end of the day, the bottom floor looked great. Clean, organized, spiffy. Here is where what I thought I would accomplished got derailed. I had told Abby about this week on Sunday. I said, "Hey. Do you wanna skip school next week and just stay at home and play. We could swim and play on the roof, and we could even watch movies every night if we wanted to." She was very excited about it. And you know what... that first day, we did none of those things. Abby and Lily played upstairs with their toys, while I cleaned. Abby begged to help, but after having her sweep the floor for an hour, I couldn't think of any other ways to get her involved. (Her time will come, because I grew up in a chore household, and we daily cleaned and did our part). The thing is, I for the most part ignored Abby and Lily all day. Lately, they have been at school, and then I see them for a brief period during lunch time (which I know a lot of dads do not get, so I am grateful), and then I go back to school. By the time I get home, we have started our dinner and bed time routines. I feel like I hardly spend any time with them anymore. And it hit me! I am wasting this whole week on cleaning and organizing!? I assumed that a week off school would be the perfect time to focus on our house, but I was wrong. It was the perfect time to focus on my girls. So, at the end of the week, I accomplished nothing that I set out to accomplish. You know what I did accomplish? I played dress up and dance party, had multiple fake meals prepared by none other than the great chef Abigail Roat and her assistant Lily Niet, played marbles, played cards (the girls did not like Uno), played chase me on the roof, and stayed up too late watching a movie on a few of those nights, too. We did our normal bed time routines and went out to eat at the place with "the broken toys" as Abby calls it (Fresh Pizza). You know what was great about this week? I never rushed anywhere. We had no where to be and nothing to do. When it took three hours to get our pizza, because I took the advice of a friend who said "Dude, it's two for one pizza at Fresh Pizza!" Everyone apparently knew about that... It didn't matter. The girls had fun playing with the toys, and I never looked at my watch and thought, "We have to get home for bedtime because ____." I think sometimes we get so caught up in our daily, busy routines that we forget to enjoy our kids. We take care of their needs, but we do not enjoy them. I picked Abby up from the top bunk, to get her up after nap time today, and she is sooooo stinkin big! She was Lily's size when she came, and Lily was a baby, just learned to walk, who hardly spoke at all. Now she keeps up with Abby (that is a feat). So to summarize this week: I got nothing off my list of things to do done, but I sure had a blast not doing those things! We definitely need to do this more often, and I am so grateful that my daughters still think it is cool to play make-believe with their daddy. Time to cherish that as long as it lasts! Until next time!
BecauseHeLives,
Micah.

Hey! BECAUSE HE LIVES! HE IS RISEN! HAPPY RESURRECTION DAY EVERYONE!

No comments:

Post a Comment